Signs the AC System Needs a Professional’s Help
South Florida has two seasons: hot and less hot. This makes it important for the AC to work all year round. The second the AC stops working, the home becomes an oven. However, homeowners can spot signs of trouble before they put the AC system out of commission. Some signs that an AC needs servicing include:
Loud Sounds Come from the AC Unit
- Rattling. Something could be loose inside the AC system. This is pretty common with older systems. The U.S. Department of Energy reports that an old system is generally between 10 to 15 years old.
- Clicking. This is more common with heaters. When the heater clicks on (and the clicking never seems to end), there could be an issue with the ignition.
- Buzzing. AC systems rely on fans to circulate cool air throughout the home. If the fan is loose or there’s something caught in the blades, it could create a buzzing sound.
- Bubbling. Excessive moisture inside the AC system could create a bubbling sound. This needs immediate attention.
If the AC system makes any unusual sounds, these will not go away on their own. If anything, they could worsen over time, resulting in a broken AC.
The Thermostat Isn’t Working Properly
- An incorrect digital reading (or no reading)
- Inconsistent temperatures throughout the home
- The AC system turns on and off without reaching the desired temperature
- Higher-than-usual energy bills
- Excessive humidity in the home
- A noticeable change in the home’s indoor air quality
Thermostats can generally last about 10 years before they need replacing. A homeowner can try replacing the batteries to see if that helps. Still, if the thermostat doesn’t work as expected, one should consider a replacement.
Uneven Cooling Throughout the Home
A centralized AC unit should keep the home’s rooms at the same temperature. If it doesn’t, this could mean:
- The air filter needs replacing. One should replace their air filter once every 90 days. They should replace it even more often if the home has a lot of furry friends.
- There’s dust in the air ducts. If the air ducts aren’t clear of debris, this prevents the AC unit from circulating cool air.
- One of the AC unit’s components isn’t functioning correctly. An issue could lie with the compressor or the evaporator.
- The AC unit doesn’t match the home’s square footage. If the AC unit isn’t big enough, then it could only cool certain parts of the home.
About AAA Modern Air
A Florida house isn’t a home without a functioning AC, and no one knows that better than AAA Modern Air. Since 1969, these professionals have offered help with broken air conditioners, heating systems, and other household appliances. One can call at any time since they offer 24/7 AC service.