The ABCs of the HVAC System
Everyone thinks they know everything about their AC systems until something goes wrong. Then, they realize they don’t know the first thing about the different types of ACs, how they work, and what signs call for a professional’s help.
Here are some questions and answers about some things homeowners should know about their AC units.
What Are the Basic AC Systems?
Most homes in Dania Beach have centralized AC units. This means that the systems rely on a network of ducts to funnel cool air from one part of the home to the next. Some benefits of centralized AC systems include quiet operation, easy controls, and a long lifespan. Yet, they’re not the only types of AC systems in South Florida homes.
Other units include:
- Ductless air conditioners. These systems don’t rely on air ducts. Instead, they generally draw in air from the outdoors, condition it, and release it into the household. These systems are easily installed and can be removed during the cooler months. Examples of ductless air conditioners include mini-split air conditioners and window units.
- Evaporative coolers. Also known as “swamp coolers,” these devices use water to cool air. They’re ideal for hot places like Florida.
- Portable AC units. These units are on wheels and can cool “zones” throughout the home.
Three Signs That Warrant Air Conditioning Repair
EnergyStar notes that an AC system may need a specialist’s attention if:
- The home never gets to the desired temperature. This could point to problems, from perforated air ducts to refrigerant leaks. While each of these things is fixable, it’s best to call in a professional sooner rather than later.
- The AC unit has short cycles. Here, the AC system turns on, then quickly shuts off. This could mean that the system is overheating, and it’s turning off to prevent a fire. Fixes could include changing the air filter to cleaning the home’s air ducts.
- The home’s energy bills unexpectedly increase. If the AC system works “overtime,” the home’s energy bills could increase. This could happen if the AC system is overheated, clogged with dust, or needs a component replaced.
An AC that needs repairs will not get magically better on its own. Eventually, the problem could overtake the unit, affecting the home’s indoor air quality and homeowners’ peace of mind.
AC Maintenance Is Crucial to Preventing Problems
There are many ways a homeowner can maintain their AC system. For instance, they should change the home’s air filter every three months. This prevents the AC from overheating and prevents avoidable air conditioning repair. They should also keep the area around the AC unit clear of debris and other items that could affect how it “breathes.”
The best way to maintain an air conditioning system is to consult a specialist at least once a year. Per the U.S. Department of Energy, when an HVAC contractor inspects the system, they will:
- Check for any refrigerant leaks
- Patch any holes
- Replacing any corroded or worn-out parts
- Advise homeowners on easy maintenance methods
- Cleaning the condenser and evaporator coils
About AAA Modern Air
Hundreds of five-star reviews back AAA Modern Air. Based locally in Dania Beach, these professionals pride themselves on 24/7 emergency service, free estimates, and 100% guaranteed satisfaction. For more information about air conditioning replacement or repair, one can call today to learn more.